The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (“OAIC”) http://www.oaic.gov.au provides further details of the Australian Privacy Act 1998 and how it protects personal information in Australia.
The Information That We Collect
As part of our operations we may gather certain types of information about the users of our sites:
1. Personally Identifiable Information. This is provided by you when you register for services that we may offer via OfficeMax websites, complete a credit application or feedback form, establish a supplier account with us, enter, vote or participate in a contest, promotion or survey, submit an after-purchase enquiry or when you call, email or fax our customer service team or when you apply for employment with us.
2. Aggregated Data. This information is generated by our systems as they track traffic through our sites. This information does not identify you personally and is not linked to the personally identifiable information that you may have provided.
Who We Share This Information With
We will not share the information that we collect with any third parties apart from in the following circumstances:
1. The information may be hosted with a service provider. Our agreements with them protect the information that we collect, from any use by them that we have not authorised.
2. The aggregated data (not the PII) may be shared with third parties such as advertisers or business partners.
3. Your PII may be shared with third parties when we believe in good faith that we are required to do so by law.
4. If we have asked your prior permission (which we would usually do at the time of collection), we may share the information with specified third parties.
5. We will share order and fees information with schools that participate in OfficeMax MySchool.
What Else We Do With The Personally Identifiable Information
We have collected this information in order to provide the best possible service to you while you are visiting our sites. To this end we may use the information that you provide for the following purposes:
1. To process any transactions that you might make on our sites.
2. To help provide any other services that you have requested.
3. To offer the most relevant information suitable to you and your interests.
4. For any marketing, promotional, publicity, direct marketing or market research that we might undertake.
5. For any other purposes for which you have given permission.
You will be given an option to opt-out of our promotional emails every time you make a purchase on an OfficeMax website. If you opt-in, but eventually decide to opt-out, you can do so by clicking the ‘Unsubscribe’ link in one of such promotional emails. You will need to opt-out again when making any subsequent purchases from OfficeMax websites to avoid being added to the subscription list again.
What About Cookies?
A cookie is a small file that resides on your computer and is recognised by our server when you visit our sites. A cookie does not provide us with any personally identifiable information. It does provide details of your IP address, the computer platform that you use (e.g. Mac or Windows), the browser that you use (e.g. Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer), what domain you are accessing our site from, and visit duration.
We use Google Analytics to collect this data, which helps us track traffic patterns to our website, display the most relevant content, understand user behaviour on the website and therefore make informed decisions about optimising the user experience. You can find more information about Google Analytics and privacy here.
A number of Google Analytics Advertising Features, such as Remarketing and Interest-based Advertising, may also be used from time to time on OfficeMax websites. We and third-party vendors, including Google, use first-party and third-party cookies together to inform, optimize, and serve ads based on visits to our website.
In addition, third parties may place and read cookies on your browser, or use web beacons or similar technologies to collect information, including, where applicable, for the Google Trusted Stores program.
What About Our Advertisers And Business Partners?
We may occasionally disclose personal information to recipients located overseas. Our ultimate parent company’s head office is located in the United States of America. We also work closely with our related bodies corporate in the Australasian region (for example we utilise an in-house call centre based in New Zealand). Your personal information may be disclosed to these related bodies corporate and their service providers.
OfficeMax does not store your credit card details. A high-strength encryption facility on your computer converts your credit card details into a format that currently is considered to be impossible to break into. The card details are sent to the OfficeMax server which forwards them securely to the banking network.
Can We Change This Policy?
Your Right To Access Your Information
The Australian Privacy Act of 1988 gives you the right to access and correct this information. If you do not want to receive any communication from us or would like to amend or update your personal details you can do so by contacting us via this email address firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Locked Bag 9002, Richmond VIC 3121.
If you are not satisfied with our response you may then take your complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (http://www.oaic.gov.au).