Integrity & Accountability
We operate in a way that is ethical and fair. We are not just following rules and legal guidelines, but making decisions and taking action based on solid values. We take responsibility for those decisions or actions whether they turn out to be right or wrong. We acknowledge our responsibility to do the right thing.
Think OfficeMax and Client First
We take care of the people who keep our company in business. When we take care of our clients, everything else falls into place. Our clients are not just the contract or retail clients; we also have a duty to our internal clients - our fellow employees as well. All of our clients depend on us to make the right choices, so that our company can continue to stay in business and serve them.
Teamwork and Trust
We are committed to a shared business plan and approach to our work. We support our fellow employees and work together to better provide for clients and employees. We work together to accomplish more than we could separately. We count on each other to deliver on promises. We value and leverage our differences rather than letting them divide us. We expect managers to actively participate in employee professional development.
Focus and Discipline
We have a clear sense of what OfficeMax needs to achieve. We have clear performance expectations set against our objectives to ensure business priorities are met. We prioritise work appropriately for our work unit and manage time well, making sound, fact-based decisions to reach work goals and staying on task until goals are met.
Sense of Urgency
We take the initiative to solve problems or take action sooner rather than later. We place appropriate emphasis on analysis, but don't use it as a crutch to delay action. We seek to understand how to get things done within the organisation. We know how to influence others appropriately to get results.
2012 Ethisphere Awards
OfficeMax Incorporated is proud to announce that it has been named as one of Ethisphere's World's Most Ethical Companies for 2012. Director of Corporate Compliance and Enterprise Risk Management, Colette Simo and Executive Vice President, General Counsel Matt Broad accepted the award at the event held in New York on March 15, 2012. The award recognises companies who demonstrate real and sustained ethical leadership within their industries, putting into real business practice the Ethisphere Institute's credo of "Good. Smart. Business. Profit."
Private Label Sourcing
Each local and overseas supplier is subject to our quality procurement policy, QP300, which is designed to formally evaluate product quality and ethics purchasing behaviour. OfficeMax are working towards providing an internationally recognised framework of sourcing principles based on Social Accountability International (SAI) SA8000 standards formed by UNESCO. SA8000 is a comprehensive standard for managing ethical workplace conditions throughout global supply chains. By managing the selection of compliant suppliers, OfficeMax ensures that workers, particularly in the Developing Countries are treated according to basic human rights principles.
All products produced by OfficeMax will be safe to use and, where possible, free of hazardous materials. For example:
- Permanent & Whiteboard markers that are Xylene and Toluene free (solvents that are inhalable).
- Acrylic Paints that are water-based, non toxic and conform to AS/NZS ISO8124.3 (Australian Toy Std that checks for Heavy Metals).
- Copy Papers and Writing Pads that are at a minimum Elemental Chlorine Free (ECF), meaning the pulp used to make the product has been bleached without the use of chlorine gas.
- Soap and hand cleaners free of either glycol ether, petroleum distillate solvents and caustic-free.
- Solvent-free glue sticks.
- Products that are made from a minimum of 30% recycled content or a corresponding independent environmental accreditation or are made from biodegradable plastics are clearly identified in our range with the 'green tree' icon and include:
- Remanufactured toner cartridges.
- Recycled Copy paper with FSC and EU Ecolabel certification.
- Binders with 100% recycled board.
- Exercise books certified by Good Environmental Choice Australia.
- Notebooks with 80% recycled content.
Paper Sourcing Policy
Sourcing environmentally preferable paper products
We have a global sourcing policy in place to ensure ethical sourcing practices. We will continue to focus on protecting those conditions that contribute to biodiversity and other important ecological values with our purchasing decisions.
We expect our suppliers to:
- Comply with laws and regulations applicable to their operations.
- Eliminate products from endangered areas and work with appropriate organisations to identify these areas.
- Track the source of paper products to the country, region, mill of origin or beyond when practicable.
- Avoid sourcing our paper products from industrial forest suppliers that convert natural forests to industrial plantations.
- Avoid sourcing paper products from factories that employ child labour.
- Give purchasing preference to suppliers that provide paper products from certified forests whenever feasible.
- Within good business practices and market conditions, continue to identify and support recycled-content paper and paper products, with a target of 30% average post-consumer fibre content in the paper products we offer.
- Increase our use of recycled content paper for internal usage.
Fair Trade and Local Support
We support fair trade and are strongly against the exploitation of farmers, producers and manufacturers. We currently supply coffee, tea and chocolate products that carry certifications from either Fairtrade, Rainforest Alliance or are UTZ certified.
Fairtrade is a global body that has developed a standard to address the imbalance of power in trading relationships, unstable markets and the injustices of conventional trade. Products that carry the Fairtrade certification means that both producers and traders have met Fairtrade Standards thus helping to ensure that producers are given greater opportunity to improve their lives while offering consumers a powerful way to reduce poverty through their every day shopping.
Rainforest Alliance works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behaviour.
UTZ certified is one of the largest sustainability programs for coffee, tea and cocoa in the world, and aims to ensure that these products are sourced sustainably while providing protection to both farmers as well as the environment.
Products that carry these certificates will be clearly marked in both OrderMax and our printed catalogues to ensure that you can easily identify these items.
AIP - Australian Industry Participation Plan
In accordance with our plan, OfficeMax provides full, fair and reasonable opportunity for capable Australia and New Zealand small and medium enterprises to supply goods and services.
OfficeMax acknowledges its health and safety responsibilities and obligations to its employees, service provision contractor employees and its customers for their health, safety and welfare when at or involved in any OfficeMax facility.
The Management and Employees of OfficeMax are committed to the belief that every employee is entitled to a safe and healthy place in which to work. The achievement of robust health and safety systems and a proactive safety culture that lead to zero injuries and illnesses in the workplace is our ultimate objective. We will continuously seek to improve our systems of work in order to achieve this goal, and to ensure this, we undertake to:
- Comply with all relevant Occupational Health and Safety legislation.
- Provide a healthy and safe work environment and promote industry best practices.
- Consult with and involve Employees and their representatives on matters affecting their Occupational Health and Safety.
- Provide and maintain appropriate plant and equipment to protect employees' health and safety.
- Train all Employees, Managers and Supervisors so that they may perform their tasks safely and meet their responsibilities and obligations.
- Consider Health and Safety issues when purchasing or designing plant and equipment, or altering work organisation and work practices.
- Develop and document policies, procedures and responsibilities in relation to specific hazard identification, risk assessment, risk control, rehabilitation etc.
- Ensure that all Managers and Supervisors are held accountable for their Health and Safety responsibilities and obligations.
- Regularly evaluate and update our Occupational Health and Safety systems with the goal of providing continuous improvement within the workplace.
All Managers, Supervisors and Employees must fully understand their responsibilities for health and safety and must demonstrate a personal commitment to our aims and objectives in this regard. We are committed to achieving best practice in Occupational Health and Safety through the co-operative efforts of everybody within OfficeMax.