OfficeMax's Sustainability Performance
At the end of 2007, we measured our environmental impact through a carbon footprint audit. While our results showed we were more efficient or on par with similar sized businesses, we resolved to reduce our carbon emissions by a further 10% by April 2009. We achieved that target well ahead of schedule following the implementation of:
- Energy reduction activities.
- Waste reduction plans.
- An evaluation and decrease of our own internal consumables.
- Moves to more energy efficient offices and facilities.
Our Commitment to Work
OfficeMax has led the way in introducing responsible paper buying practices in the Australian market. We were the first office supplies company to:
- Require their stocked paper range to be only manufactured in countries that have rigorous controls on illegal foresting.
- Offer FSC-certified papers to the contract market.
- Introduce FSC-certified papers into a private label range.
- Offer Blue Angel, Nordic Swan papers to the contract market.
OfficeMax places high environmental expectations on all of our suppliers and encourages them to refrain from sourcing products which are manufactured in endangered areas.
When you purchase products from OfficeMax, you can be assured that we are working towards conducting all of our activities to the highest standard of environmental care.